Oak Forest Illinois History
The Forest Preserve District of Cook County has opened its new Oak Forest Trail to the public. The 1.5 km long trail leads visitors through the nature reserve, where signs tell the long forgotten stories of the country.
Besides St. Gabriel's, there are two other cemeteries in Cook County's Oak Forest Preserve District. Visitors can enter the enclosure through the main entrance of the Medical Center and follow the signs.
The cemetery was first used by the city of Chicago to accommodate the needy and replaced the old St. Gabriel's Cemetery on the west side of Oak Forest Road. The county began awarding paltry burials to other cemeteries in Chicago and other parts of Illinois in the late 18th century.
Don taught at school on the first day and managed the Eichenwald site from the first night to the weekend and the cemetery from the second to the end of the year.
In September 1928, a branch in Evanston, Illinois, was opened, and two other locations were opened jointly. One in Oak Park Illinois opened in September 1929, the other in Chicago in October 1929, both in the same building.
When the Almhaus was moved from Dunning to Eichenwald, the lunatic asylum remained behind and was handed over to the state administration. The mall opened in October 1929, with the first store, Park Forest Liquors, run by George Irving Taradash. This store became the largest liquor store in the United States and one of the oldest in Illinois. After the poor farm called Dunning became unsanitary and overcrowded, the county bought the oak-woods property in 1929 for $33,624.
The facility was completed in 1910 as an oak forest infirmary and housed nearly 2,000 destitute people. In 1947 the population had grown to 1618, and the inhabitants voted for the incorporation of the village Eichenwald. In 1956, when the facility was approved as a hospital, the operation ceased, but the facility continued to serve chronically ill patients. Cook County's Oak-Forest Hospital remained on the site and remains in operation, serving chronically ill patients since it opened.
The community continued to grow over the next 30 years, helped by the construction of a railroad line from Chicago to Joliet in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. In 1850 and 1851, the Chicago and Illinois Railroad Company and the Illinois State Railway Company bought the rights - of - the way the tracks were moved from Joliat to Chicago. A plank road built in 1842 on what is now Lake Street also contributed to the growth.
The last Native American tribes to inhabit the area were driven west of the Mississippi River before the federal government allowed white settlers into the country. While the O'Hare Indians and other Indian tribes such as the Chippewa and Ojibwe roamed the area occasionally, it was the Potawatomi who were most closely associated with the region before the European settlers arrived. There are several other tribes in the state of Illinois, as well as a number of tribes from other states.
The forest - inhabiting Potawatomimis have undoubtedly found their way into the area through the Cook County Forest Preserves. For outdoor enthusiasts, Lake Michigan and surrounding Cook Counties and the Illinois State Forest nature reserves offer a variety of wildlife viewing, hiking, camping and fishing opportunities. Thanks to the availability of convenient transportation, these attractions abound, as do many of the state's parks and recreational areas.
For more information about Tinley Park's history, check out the Tinly Park Public Library or visit the City Missions Register books located in the Archives and Records Division of the Cook County Library in Oak Park.
The Bremen Cemetery Index includes the names of Baptist and Episcopal cemeteries. The Society for Genealogy and History of the Southern Suburb has been able to extract the names of more than 1000 people from the cemetery records of the Eichenwald Hospital. The books, which cover virtually every burial at the cemetery, have been stored in a cellar of the Eichenwald Hospital since then. Names like the hospital's first president, Dr. William E. "Buck" Clements Jr. and his wife, Margaret C. Cramer, were filtered out.
The annexation that year led to a development around the intersection of Oak Forest and Interstate 57 south and southeast of the hospital. Lührsen said that the Eichenwaldspital and the sister hospital St. Gabriel would remain in the ownership of the forest reserve, but that the cemetery should be owned by the county, not the other way around and not in the same area as the park area. Since January 1980 and until today it has held this function and is the cemetery of St. Gabriel.
Oak Forest is located at the intersection of Interstate 57 south and southeast of Oak Forest and Interstate 59 south of Chicago.
For comparison, from Interstate 57 and Interstate 59 south of Chicago, you have a view of the Oak Forest. Imagine learning about the geology and ecology of the country, including its natural history, wildlife, flora and fauna, and natural resources, while visiting your family just 25 miles from Chicago! According to this value, the best time of year to visit the oak forest for a family of four or more is from the end of June to the end of August.